Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Best Ever Bananna Bread

I have always loved homemade banana bread but always thought it was just too hard or beyond me to ever make it right. Making bread just sounds hard so my bread making experience has been very limited to oh say high school home ec. and the bread maker I owned years ago when they were the best thing ever. And they were but I just didn't use mine enough. So, in my attempt to master homemade banana bread I have to brag on myself and tell you I have exceeded my expectations above and beyond! And on my first try! I made the house smell so awesome as it baked and oh my gosh it was so good! The recipe I use came from my girl Denise Austin. I love her! She's so pretty and perky and just makes you feel all good even when you're just sitting there watching her workout because you can't keep up with her cardio!

Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup mashed overripe bananas (I just throw in 2 medium ones)
1/2 cup light vanilla yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla













Line your loaf pan with foil overlapping the edges a bit then spray the foil with some nonstick cooking spray. Apparently it makes it easier to pop it out of the pan! Denise is sooo smart! See why I love her!

Mix all dry ingredients and whisk them together.

Mix all liquid ingredients separately and then add them to the dry mixture and combine the two well.

Pour into foil covered loaf pan and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes and you have the best banana bread ever!













This is the first recipe I've tried and one I think I will definitely be sticking with! It calls for yogurt instead of butter which I love. If you know me well enough, you will know that I try to avoid butter and love finding alternative healthy ingredients for my recipes. Trust me when I tell you you will love this bread!

P.S. I also like to sneak in some Milled Flax Seed because they all say its so healthy for you as you need those Omega vitamins and you can't really taste it at all. I usually throw a pinch in while baking or with oatmeal or yogurt or parfaits and that.

















P.P.S. Sorry for my poor photography skills on the pictures! I've already sat down and am entirely too lazy to retake the pictures. Oh and I forgot a few of the ingredients in the 'ingredients' picture so pretty much disregard that picture all together. Sorry!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I will have to try this soon. Perhaps I will also try and make healthy modifications to my favorite pumpkin bread recipe as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melisa, pumpkin bread sounds good! If you do make some modifications please share!

    ReplyDelete